ZIMBABWE CRICKET IS IN JEOPARDY
Zimbabwe cricket feel heat regarding his I.C.C full membership, O.D.I and 20-20 international career is on stake. I.C.C full member cricket board likes England, Australia, New Zealand wants that Zimbabwe full membership should be cancelled by I.C.C on the basis of racism and corruption charges. But on the other side powerful Asian bloc (Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh) led by the cricket economic powerhouse, India is opposing any action against Zimbabwe on political grounds. West Indies also supported the Zimbabwe cricket board, but CSA (Cricket South Africa Board) is divided on what to do on the issue.
In I.C.C board meeting which was held in Dubai. Zimbabwe delegation decided to recommend to its board, that Zimbabwe will withdraw from next 20-20 world cup which will happen in England. Zimbabwe cricket also considered that British government is likely to refuse to grant visa for the Zimbabwe cricket team to take part in the I.C.C 20-20 world cup.
Zimbabwe cricket has taken this hard decision in the larger interest of the game. I.C.C decided that Zimbabwe will receive their appearance money for the event and participation in other I.C.C events and the future tours programmed appears to be unaffected.
I.C.C has set-up a sub-committee, chaired by Dr. Julian Trunte (West Indies) and including another I.C.C Board member Arjuna Ranatunga (Sri Lanka) and an official from the I.C.C. The role of this Sub-committee will be advice the I.C.C board on all matters relating to Zimbabwe cricket including its return to full participation in the international arena. The full membership of Zimbabwe is currently not in doubt there was not even a discussion on the issue of Zimbabwe membership.
New Zealand scheduled visit of Zimbabwe in July 2009, but already there’s pressure on New Zealand cricket team to withdraw from the tour. Last time, New Zealand government refuse visas to the Zimbabwe side but this time tour take palace in Zimbabwe. Now they would find another way of preventing the tour. I.C.C gives clear instruction that if NZC (New Zealand cricket) withdrew tour without government instruction than they would pay hefty fines.
You can’t mix sports with politics, if you do that than nobody can enjoy the sports with fun. If Zimbabwe cricket show generous attitude towards sports, and said that they will not participate in 20-20 world cup despite they have right to play at every I.C.C tournament because they have full membership in I.C.C.
Australia, New Zealand and England cricket board think twice before raising these type of sound against minnows and learn form their mistakes. In this globalizing world where everything is globalize, these cricket board do combine efforts to globalize the sports. Not destroy the sports spirit to mix sports with politics.
Published: www.cricket360.com
Writer: Rakesh Bhandari
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment